Happy New Year, metal-heads! Hope everyone had a rockin' holiday season!
Read on for the latest from the scene …
* Dio played the Toy Tiger on November 23. Please see my review in this issue.
* Headed up to Bulls Eyes after the Dio show and heard some local metal. Creed, Faceplant, and Point of Anger all played jammin' sets and had a good crowd moshin' to the music.
*Caught a heavy show on November 30, featuring Creed, Blacklisted, Drop, and the Undecided. The show was originally scheduled to be held at the Flashback, but it got moved to a building down the street where some of the bands practice. Faceplant was also scheduled to play but had to cancel because their singer was sick. This was an especially good show because it featured more than one style of metal.
Blacklisted played first with a bass-heavy, punk/metal style. Kind of reminds me of Kinghorse-raw and heavy. Drop followed with a heavy, bluesy sound that was a lot more mellow than the other bands. Creed played a kick-butt set of their new and old material. Last but not least, the Undecided closed the night with a touch of death metal. Hope we see more shows like this!
* Shattered Reality has a new tape out. Please see my review in this issue.(It's really in this issue – sorry about the misprint in the December issue – my bad!)
* Metallica and Corrosion of Conformity are scheduled to perform on February 2 at Freedom Hall. Check the next issue for more.
This should be a good show; although a lot of old Metallica fans aren't impressed with the band's latest release, Load. Still, we're getting a rare big-metal show in Louisville, so go out and support it!
* There are a couple of local shows coming up this month worth noting.
On Saturday, January 11 at Sparks, Eleven Eleven, Wino, Shapeless Matrix, and Elliot combine for a show that starts at 4:30. That's four bands for five bucks. Sounds like a good deal to me!
Also, Friday and Saturday, January 31 –February 1, Shapeless Matrix and Crazy Train/Paglina will play at the Toy Tiger. Make sure you check these shows out!
* Speaking of Shapeless Matrix, the band will have a new five-song demo set for release in late January . I'm sure it'll be slammin'!
* In next month's issue, I hope to have a review of Creed's latest release, Kick A** White Trash Hillbilly Music.
That's all from me for this month. Let's all make 1997 a loud and heavy year! Rock on…..!