Greetings to all people of the Pit! Hope everyone enjoyed the mucho metal happenin' in January. Got a little news for ya -so read on, read on. . . . . . . . .
• Unfortunately, the Godsmack show at Toy Tiger was cancelled, but the band does plan to reschedule this show in the near future, so be on the look out for that!
• Here's a cool show coming up - brought to us by Spotlight and 100. 5 The Fox. Wednesday, February 2, check out Queens Of The Stone Age at the Tiger. Tickets are only $8. 00. The band features former members of Kyuss and are on Stone Gossard's (of Pearl Jam) Loose Groove Records. Local heavies Purple Jesus will open this show. Queens Of The Stone Age self-titled album made it on Terrorizer Magazine's Writers Poll 1998 Top List of Metal Albums. Don't miss this show!
• P. J. 's Pub had two killer weekends in a row. January 8 featured Inhuman, Noize Bucket, and Point of Anger, who performed quite an impressive, very heavy set. This was also the band's first Louisville show in about a year. The next weekend at P. J. 's brought more metal, featuring Dump Gang, Inhuman, and Encrypted Flesh, who also played quite an impressive set and included two new killer songs: "Nameless"and "Compelled in Darkness."
• Here are a couple of upcoming shows happening at P. J. 's: February 12 brings us Luther and February 13 will feature Engrind.
For more info. on shows at P. J.'s, please call 368-9911.
• The "Unsigned Primetime" Live Finals are happening at the Tiger, so that means one band or another is on their way to win a record contract.
Flaw and Faceplant just played and rumor has it that Flaw has interest in being signed to the Revolver label and may even be playing some dates on the Ozz Fest! Whoa - sounds like good news to me - good luck to all bands involved in the "Unsigned Finals!"
• Speaking of the Unsigned Prime Time Finals, here is a killer one happenin' on February 16, featuring Inhuman and Shapeless Matrix. Be there and show your support for all local metal! It's at the Toy Tiger - you know where it is!!
• Also - "BIG SHOW - DO NOT MISS" - remember that on February 5 at the Tiger "The Attitude Network on 100. 5 presents Unsigned Extreme," featuring Faceplant, Inhuman, Krome, Engrind, Shapeless Matrix, Krosmember and Point of Anger. (Luther was to play, but had to cancel). This show starts at 7:30. Be there. This will be a killer show. If you are a true metal fan, DO NOT miss this show!!
For more info, call the Toy Tiger at 458-2020 or 456-1137.
• Here are some more shows to check out for February.
• February 12 at the Last Call in Lexington, Kentucky, Inhuman and Partial Post from Pennsylvania. I hear this band has sort of a Rage Against the Machine sound. Also, there will be two other bands to be announced. Show starts at 8:00 p. m.
• February 20 at the Firehouse in Richmond, Kentucky will feature Inhuman, Crone, Cut Love Kill and Twist. Show time is 8:00 p. m.
• Here are a couple of interesting tidbits for ya!!
• Heard about some crazy things happening at the Blacklisted show on January 23 at the Mercury Paw. Seems that this was singer Dave Johnson's last show with the band and he wanted to go out with a "bang" of sorts! Heard that he lit fire to his private parts. He must be a brave (?) man! Don't think that any one will forget this show for a while!.
Heard a rumor that Johnson plans to regroup with a new band and Blacklisted will continue as is, with one of the guitar players taking over the vocal position.
• Also - this will be of interest to anyone who plays in a band - March 12 and 13 in Asbury Park, New Jersey will be the "1st Annual March Metal Meltdown," put on by the promoter of the Milwaukee Metalfest.
Ticket prices are $30 for one day and $50 for a two-day pass. For more info, call (201) 507-8900 or (609) 520-8383. For all bands interested in playing this metal fest, please call the promoter, Jack Koshick, at (414)225-9060.
Well, folks, that's all for me this month. See ya next month with more news and I will (I promise!) have some CD reviews.
See ya in the Pit!!!