Happy July, Pit People!
Hope everyone is getting his or her required dose of metal this summer. With the load of shows coming our way, you might even overdose! (Not possible!)
Read on for news & tidbits.
First up - shows of course!
• July 1 - at Shocker's - False, Sen, Chosen, Guilt, Derailed and Inidle. Admission is $5 and the show starts at 8 p.m.
• July 2 - Headliners - Execrate, Contortion and One With Misery.
• July 7 - Phoenix Hill Tavern - in the Roof Garden - "Original Rock Showcase" series, featuring Engrind, Krosmember, Rifle and Dumpgang. This show is 21 and over and starts at 9 p.m.
Here's and early notice for the August "Original Rock Showcase" - get ready for Supafuzz, Adaptor, Planet and Cornbread Mafia.
July 14 at CiCi's Pizza in E - Town - Sen and Krosmember. The show starts at 9 p.m. and will cost ya $5.
July 15 at Pandamonium - Bloodline 4:20, Sen, False and One With Misery. Tix are $5 and the show starts at 7p.m.
July 16 at Pharoah's (formerly the Toy Tiger), Eddy Metal presents "Egyptian Slamfest" with Flaw, Krosmember, Factor 9, Faceplant, Rifle and Sen. Doors open at 6:30p.m., and the show starts at 7 p.m. This is an all ages show, so everyone can go check out all these ultra-heavy bands. "Slamfest" might be an understatement!!
• July 23 at Headliner's - Sen, False, Flaw and Engrind. This, too, is an all-ages' show. Show time is 9 p.m.
• July 28 at Pandamonium - MSD, Blyss, Sen and Incursion.
Whew! That's the list for July folks - check out all this heaviness going on in your town!
Read on for news and some out-of-town shows that are definitely worth hopping in the car for a weekend road trip!
• Iron Maiden's long awaited new release Brave New World debuted at # 39 on the Billboard charts. I'll have a review in next month's issue.
• Log on to www.campchaos.com for some hilarious cartoon satire about the Metallica/Napster situation. Quite funny, indeed!
• Slayer and Sepultura have been added to the "Tattoo The Earth Tour." For more info & tour dates, check out the bands' web sites.
• Execrate has a new CD out called Process of Elimination. The disc is $5 & has 9 songs on it. I'll have a review in the August issue.
For more info, log on to: www.execrate.da.ru .
• Got this news from Mike May of Abominant. The band will be recording their fourth album, Ungodly, at Canyon Productions during July. The CD will be out this fall on the Atlanta-based label Deathgasm Records. It will be the band's debut album as a five-piece.
This fall, watch for Abominant tracks on tributes to Metallica and Destruction from Dwell Records. For more info - check out - www.abominant.da.ru
• Corrosion Of Conformity returns in a big, loud way with a new album. due out in September. After about a four-year hiatus, these boys from Raleigh, North Carolina haven't exactly just been sitting around. I hear that the band has over 40 songs to choose from to make it on the new record.
Producer John Custer, who worked with C.O.C. on previous albums, Blind, Deliverance and Wiseblood returns to lend his expertise. The band has been playing some shows in and around North Carolina - including these 2 upcoming shows -
• July 14 - Ground Zero in Spartanburg, S.C. - (864) 948 - 1661.
• July 15 - Ziggy's in Winston - Salem, N.C. - (336) 748 - 1064.
I advise taking a road trip to check out C.O.C. You know you'll have a hella good time! This girl herself is making the trek to Winston-Salem! I'll let you know more about the new tunes and such in the next issue.
• Big News on the 14 Annual Milwaukee Metalfest - King Diamond and Destruction will be the headlining acts at this year's fest. There are also 150 other bands to make yours ears bleed! Some of the bands in the line up - Katatonia, Malevolent Creation, Lungbrush, Hate Eternal, Deceased, God Forbid, Bloodstorm, Usurper and many others.
The Milwaukee Metalfest XIV will begin at 4 p.m. Friday, July 28 and 11 a.m. Saturday, July 29. The fest will be held at the Milwaukee Auditorium, 500 E. Kilbourn Street. Tickets for a two-day pass are $55 and $35 for a one-day pass. Tickets may be purchased at Ticketmaster locations, charge by phone, or by Relapse Records (800) 303 - 0606.
For updates - call the Metalfest Hotline at (414) 225 - 9060 or visit www.metalfest.com for updates, hotel info, schedules and directions.
The Metalfest is a must for diehard fans. It's a chance to see many bands from places such as Norway, Holland and Sweden play for the first time on American soil!
Well, dudes and dudettes, that's all for me this month.
I'm sorry I ran out of time this month and didn't get the CD reviews in this issue. (Anyone know where I can buy some more hours?!) I promise to have them in the August issue.
Thanks to all of you who sent me your show dates and other info.
Please email me at email@example.com
Until next month - see ya in the Pit!